What is the Best Stone for Shower Walls?
Stepping into a shower can be a refreshing escape from our daily routine. The look and feel of the shower space play a big part in making this a pleasant experience. One key aspect of this is the material of the shower walls. Stone is a popular choice because of its natural beauty, durability, and timeless style. However, there are many types of stone to choose from, each with its own unique qualities. In this guide, we will explore the different types of stone to help you find the best one for your shower walls, ensuring a beautiful, functional, and durable choice for your relaxing space.
Table of Contents
Key Factors to Consider Before Installing Stone for Shower Walls
Choosing the right stone for your shower walls is a significant decision that combines aesthetics with functionality. It’s not just about selecting a beautiful stone; it’s about choosing a stone that will withstand water exposure, resist mould and retain its beauty over time. Before taking the plunge, it’s crucial to consider several key factors that will influence your satisfaction with the final outcome. Here are some critical factors to keep in mind:
- Durability: It’s important to choose a stone that can withstand wear and tear while maintaining its appearance. Granite and Quartzite are seen as being able to withstand anything. Water, soap, and even a bump or two won’t change that.
- Water Absorption: Consider how well the stone repels water. Porcelain has a reputation for not holding any water at all making it perfect for the shower. This is important because if the walls of your shower hold too much water, over time they’ll start to get damaged.
- Maintenance: Ideal stones require minimal effort to retain their beauty. Marble and Dolomite definitely do though. You need to constantly seal them so they don’t get stained from the water and soap scum.
- Resistance Scum and Stain: It’s crucial to choose a stone that resists stains and scum. And, if something does get on it you can clean it with something as simple as a paper towel.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Lastly, consider the ambience you want to create in your bathroom. Marble gives off a luxurious look while porcelain is more modern.
5 Best Stones for Your Shower Walls
Selecting the right stone for your shower walls can significantly enhance the aesthetics while ensuring durability and ease of maintenance. Here are five excellent stone choices for your shower walls:
Granite is a top pick for shower walls due to its strength and variety of colours. It resists scratching, and staining and holds up well against water and moisture. Its sleek appearance can provide a modern, elegant look to your shower. The ease of cleaning and the long-lasting shine make granite a valuable choice for any bathroom.
Known for its classic beauty, marble is another excellent choice. It brings an elegant and refined look to your shower space. While it may require sealing to prevent staining, the timeless appeal and the luxurious vibe marble offers are unparalleled. Its cool surface is also soothing to the touch, adding to the calming ambience of your bathroom.
Quartzite offers a glamorous shine and is incredibly durable. Its resistance to water and moisture makes it a practical choice for shower walls. Plus, it comes in a variety of colours and patterns, allowing you to customize the look to your taste. The robust nature of quartzite means it can retain its beauty for years with minimal maintenance.
Travertine offers a warm, natural look with its earthy tones and textured surface. It’s perfect for creating a cozy, spa-like atmosphere in your bathroom. While it might need sealing to protect against staining, the relaxing and welcoming vibe it brings to your shower space is worth the extra care.
For a more rustic or contemporary look, slate is a fantastic option. It’s available in various earth-toned colours and has a natural texture that can add a unique character to your shower. Besides, slate is highly durable and resistant to water, making it a low-maintenance option for a busy household.
Tips to Maintain the Beauty of Stone Shower Walls in Your Bathroom
Stone shower walls add a touch of natural elegance to your bathroom, creating a serene space to refresh and rejuvenate. But to keep them looking and performing their best, they need regular care. Unlike other materials, stone has a unique texture and composition that needs a special approach to cleaning. Here are some tips to keep the beauty of your marble stone shower walls intact:
- Regular Cleaning: Clean as often as you can. Don’t wait for a mess to build up. Use a non-abrasive cleaner or squeegee after every shower to keep your stone’s beauty intact and free from soap scum and hard water stains. Sitting back and reacting to messes won’t give you the same captivating feeling as when you first installed your stone.
- Sealing: Regular sealing helps protect popular stones like marble and granite from water damage. It acts as a barrier for water absorption and staining. It’s best to follow guidelines from the manufacturer, or get advice from an expert on how often it should be done. Each session of sealing contributes to preserving its integrity, making sure it lasts with time and use.
- Use of Non-Abrasive Cleaners: Avoid using abrasive or chemical-laden products as they can scratch the stone surface, so try not to use those if possible. Instead, opt for cleaners that have a pH-neutral state. They’re gentle enough to not damage the stone while still effective at removing grime.
- Quick clean-up: Spills are going to happen no matter what, so it’s important to address them right away. Especially ones that contain acidic substances like lemon juice or vinegar because if left alone they will stain the area they settled on.
- Professional Cleaning: Occasionally, even with all the preventative measures taken there still may be some deep stains that need professional cleaning. Restoring its natural allure is possible by putting your trust in professionals who have the right tools and agents, bringing your shower wall right back to its original glory.
When it comes to the perfect stone for your shower walls, there are a lot of options. But no matter what you choose, the two main things to think about are style and practicality. Do you like the look of marble? Are you looking for something with some strength behind it like granite? An important thing to keep in mind is that just because we’re talking about showers doesn’t mean we have to settle for something boring or average. Not only does choosing an option come down to style but how long will it last against nature’s elements. To make sure your stone shower lasts as long as possible, use these tips for maintenance.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What type of stone is best for shower walls?
Not all stones are as suitable for shower walls as granite is. Some stones poorly resist water and may harbour mould growth. Limestone and travertine are two examples of this so you should avoid using them. On the other hand, stones like granite, quartzite, or engineered stone make for better choices thanks to their density and resistance to moisture and chemicals.
How often should stone shower walls be sealed?
The type of stone used as well as the quality of sealant determines how often you need to reapply it over time. As a general rule though apply a new coat at least once every year or if you notice signs of water penetration and discoloration sooner than that. This will help protect against the wear and tear from stains, scratches, and erosion that come from frequent use.
Can I install stone shower walls myself?
Unless you’re experienced in this area it’s not recommended to install stone shower walls by yourself. They’re heavy, bulky, and fragile making precise cutting an absolute must when fitting them in place with grouting. A big weight such as this needs to be supported by a sturdy wall structure while also having compatible plumbing and electrical fixtures. The best bet is to hire professionals who know how to handle these steps correctly.
What’s the best way to clean stone shower walls?
Your stone shower walls should be cleaned with mild cleaners designed with natural stone in mind. Abrasive cleaners will strip away the sealant on your stone’s surface. Vinegar, bleach, ammonia, and scouring pads are some examples of what to avoid using. After every use rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth to prevent water spots and soap scum mold from forming.
Are stone shower walls worth the cost?
Stone shower walls cost much more than other materials like ceramic tile or acrylic. But, they make up for it in benefits that’ll convince you their cost is worth it. Not only do they add a touch of beauty and value to your bathroom, but they have a unique and timeless natural look. They also last longer as well as being more durable than other options. Stone walls are resistant to heat, moisture, and pressure, preventing cracking or fading over time. And if aesthetics weren’t enough, limestone shower walls can improve your own health too. Being around them can reduce stress levels, promote relaxation, and create a positive mood.